I attended my first meeting last night -- art club that is! Our assignment was to convert a really ugly dollar store find (you can see the original photo here) and make it into art based on the theme, "Ought to protect it."
What came to mind when I thought of things to protect was the environment...ok it wasn't much of a stretch there but it was kind of tuff theme. Anyhoo, I began to think (and no, smoke did not come out of my ears!:P) How can I show protecting the environment via the ugly box....hmmmm.
Problem was partially solved by choosing an open coffin look. The exterior was decoupaged with bits of TTC maps (saved from the old yellow pages), the interior was the poor dead soul, (if we don't use alternative transportation) nature...inside was an assortment of twigs, chestnuts, leaves (mostly artificial), maple keys, and two very small acorns (do you know how difficult it is to find acorns this time of year-- who knew??!?) Nothing was glued in place because I thought that our environment is continually changing so that too should be represented in my art work.
Transfers were also used to add to the overall look of the assemblage.
I had a great night, thank you to all members for the wonderful welcome! I look forward to the next meeting and the next challenge! -- egads what to do with that!!! yikes!
PS. I really need to get a digital camera now....pictures are much better than descriptive paragraphs...
No comments:
Post a Comment